Friday, October 7, 2011

A Lil Southern for Your Sofa

I don't know about you, but I LOVE farms, barns and everything country!
There's something just so wholesome and natural about it all. What I wouldn't give...

 Photo Credit: Captivating Image Photography (aka Dad)

For the moment though, I currently call a condo my home. Mind you, it is a lovely condo and it has been good to my husband, myself and our two little critters.  But like me, I know the pups would love the open air and lots of land. I know when they're running in their sleep, it's through wheat fields, feeling free as a bird and chasing varmints... They told me. 

 





Here they are.

Athena- dreaming of what life would be like on a farm....
                &
 Zeus- well, go ahead and fill in the blank. He's always giving me quizzical looks and I wonder sometimes if there's a little person in there.









                                                                               ~~~

Because very few of us are afforded the luxury of country livin' (moo cows en tow), I thought I'd lasso a lil of that country and bring it home. I'll show you how you can do it too with coffee, fabric and basic sewing skills.

Here's a country pillow I made.


Instructions:

To get the rustic look of the pillow, take a cut piece of canvas cloth and drop it in a pot of boiling water complete with coffee grounds and instant coffee.

After you're satisfied with the stain, bake it in the oven on a cookie pan until it is dry.

For the tractor image, Google "free stencils". It doesn't have to be a tractor, so find one you like! Print it out on a piece of clear sheet protector and cut out the center. Once you are ready to apply the image, lay out your canvas cloth and apply a spray adhesive to the back of your stencil to ensure there isn't any "stray sprays" hitting the fabric. Once you center your stencil, spray the image in with brown spray paint.

After it dries, go ahead and sew up the pillow with fabric you chose for the back. That's it! Now you have some southern charm--minus the farm! Eh-hem. :)

It's hard to tell, but I think she's a fan.

~Rachelle

Tuesday To Do FEatured

12 comments:

  1. cute! Now link it up to as many link parties as you can! That way people will start heading your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Thanks so much for linking up at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute!!! I prefer the country living too of course! :) We do have horses and cows and what not in tow though... haha. Stopping by from Making the World Cuter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool. will have to try this (with an owl, for my daughter!)

    saw you on sugar and dots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome! I love the little tractor silhouette, it's the perfect finishing touch! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tractor pillow is seriously fantastic! I just love it and I have a thing for barns too.:-)
    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pups. So cute and they would fit in nicely in the country. Just make sure you bring that adorable pillow.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. your dog cracks me up! I never thought of using coffee! I'm so impressed! I started a link party at my blog and I'd love for you to link this up. If you're interested it's http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/ Have a lovely day, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun finish for a pillow! It's perfectly countrified! Cute puppies... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!!! Thanks for the idea!!!

    craftyzoowithmonkeys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete